Android Studio is the official Integrated Develepment Environment(IDE) for android.
Google recommends it for android development and it will make your job much easier instead of using other tools like Eclipse or basic Text Editor.
Android Studio comes bundled with the Android SDK Manager, which is a tool that allows us download the Android SDK components required to develop android applications.
How do Install Android Studio?
- First Download and install Android Studio.
- Download the latest SDK Tools and SDK Platform-tools by opening the Android Studio, and then following the Android SDK Tool Updates instructions. You should install the latest available stable packages.
Can I use OpenJDK?
Yes, indeed since
Android Studio 2.2, a copy of the latest OpenJDK comes bundled with the install and is the recommended JDK (Java Development Kit) for all Android Studio projects. This removes the requirement of having Oracle’s JDK package installed.
To use the bundled SDK, proceed as follows;
- Open your project in Android Studio and
select File > Project Structurein the menu bar.
- In the SDK Location page and under JDK location, check the Use embedded JDK checkbox.
- Click OK.
Configuring Android Studio
Through the help menu, you can access android studio’s configuration files which allow you to set various settings:
- studio.vmoptions: This allows you to provide customizations for Studio’s Java Virtual Machine (JVM), such as heap size and cache size. If you are using Linux this file may be named studio64.vmoptions, depending on your version of Android Studio.
- idea.properties: his allows you to provide customizations for Android Studio properties, such as the plugins folder path or maximum supported file size.
How do I Change Android Studio’s Theme?
You can change Android Studio’s theme by going to
File->Settings->Editor->Colors & Fonts-> and select a theme.
If you want to use a third party theme you can download them from http://color-themes.com/.
After downloading the
.jar.zip file, go to
File -> Import Settings… and choose the file downloaded.